Ice Cream for Schools
Hershey's Smart Snacks for Schools
The new Federal "Smart Snacks for Schools" standards guided Hershey's Ice Cream in developing school dessert items that can offer healthier choices for kids. At Southern Ice Cream, we carry a full line of Hershey's Ice Cream products approved by the Alliance for a Healthier Generation and the USDA for school lunch and a la carte programs.
Smart Snacks in Schools Standards:
- Calories: Snack items and side dishes sold a la carte must be less than 200 calories
- Fats: Acceptable food items must have less than 35% of calories from total fat
- Saturated fats: Acceptable food items must have less than 10% of calories from saturated fat
- Trans Fats: Zero grams of trans fats (0.5g or less per portion)
- Sugar: Less than 35% of weight from total sugar
- Sodium: Snack items and side dishes sold a la carte must have less than 200mg of sodium per item
- Daily Value: Contains 10% of a Daily Value of the nutrients Potassium, Calcium, Vitamin D, or Dietary Fiber, or contains Dairy or Fruit as the first ingredient
We also offer fun, seasonal ice cream cups. Download the Seasonal Order Form for more information.
We are proud members of the Texas Association of School Nutrition TASN and are an approved vendor for the following Cooperatives:
- Choice Partners purchasing cooperative. Learn more on choicepartners.org.
- School Purchasing Alliance. Learn more at schoolpurchasingalliance.org.
- Region 5 Education Service Center
- Region 3 Education Service Center